Happy Wednesday! Have you adjusted to Daylight Savings Time yet? The whole “spring forward” can throw you for a loop. Whatever time it is, it’s also time to check in on the new units that are being planned, built, and opened in the Seattle Area. That’s right, it’s Under Construction!
Proposed: Micro Apartments in West Seattle
- Who: Architecture firm Nicholson Kovalchick have filed a preliminary site plan with the city for their proposed building.
- What: The design incorporates 31 “micro-units” into the apartment building’s four stories. Plans for parking are not yet available.
- Where: The site is located at 4535 44th SW, west of The Junction in West Seattle (a brick office building is keeping the space warm currently).
- When: With no design review scheduled for this proposal as of now, this building is at least a year or two away from completion…but we’ll be interested to hear more about the nature of the planned micro-units as the process goes forward!
Approved by Planners: Apartment Tower on First Hill
- Who: Seattle developer William Justen is overseeing this project, which was approved by planners a few weeks ago, for Swedish pension fund company Alecta.
- What: The building would house 328 units in its 27-story tower.
- Where: The site is located at Terry Avenue and Jefferson Street, in First Hill.
- When: With plenty of multifamily buildings under construction in Seattle, Alecta has not yet decided whether to go ahead with the project or put it on the back-burner for awhile. According to Justen, “it takes a crystal ball” to determine whether it’s too late to get in on the development boom.
Construction Underway: The REO Flats on Capitol Hill
- Who: Madrona Real Estate Services of Seattle and Glenmont Capital Management of New York are partnering on this project, which will preserve the façade of the existing building in a neighborhood first.
- What: The agreement to preserve the building’s façade, a “first in the Pike Pine Neighborhood Conservation Overlay District,” will preserve historic elements of the building and in return will be able to build bigger properties. There will be 108 apartments, as well as over 7,000 square feet of retail space and underground parking.
- Where: The project is located at 1515 14th Avenue, between Pike and Pine streets, in Capitol Hill.
- When: Construction has now begun, with leasing scheduled to begin in March of 2014.
In Progress: The Martin, at 5th Ave. and Lenora St.
- Who: Vulcan Real Estate is developing this Denny Triangle-adjacent high-rise.
- What: The Martin will hold 188 apartment homes in 24 stories, and is being constructed to LEED Silver standards. The building is meant to cater to the “upscale urban” renter, and will feature views of the City as well as Lake Union.
- Where: Located downtown near the Denny Triangle, the high-rise site is adjacent to the historic Paul G. Allen’s Cinerama Theater.
- When: Vulcan broke ground on this building just over a year ago; it is slated for completion this fall.
- Who: Local developer Matt Griffin has taken this project personally–last November, he announced his plan for he and his wife to move into the building for a month upon its completion.
- What: Via 6 is a two-tower, 24-story building housing 654 units, as well as 16,000 feet of retail space.
- Where: Where else–just across from Amazon’s proposed three-tower development, on Sixth Avenue downtown.
- When: Now complete, not only is the Via 6 now leasing; it’s also holding a competition for one year’s worth of free rent. We could go for that! (As renters, of course–not as landlords.)