Guess what: We did it! We got through the first month of a brand new year. Hopefully by now you’re in that happy zone where you’re remembering to write 2013 on checks, but that resolution to go jogging a few times a week hasn’t slipped by the wayside quite yet.
As the new year charges ahead, so are multifamily building projects all across the city. That’s right, it’s Under Construction, here to keep you informed on new buildings in the works all across the city. Let’s see what’s cooking, shall we? (Projects listed in red are still in the planning stages; yellow projects are approved or under construction, and green are at or near completion.)
- Who: The project has been proposed by Equity Residential; firm Weber Thompson would design.
- What: 400 units housed in a 39 story building that would also include 2,700 square feet of commercial space, with eight total levels of parking (four underground and four above).
- Where: Downtown, at the northeast corner of Second Ave. and Pine St.
- When: The project has not yet been finalized; Equity has just applied for land-use and construction permits for the site, which is currently a parking lot.
- Who: The Carlyle group, partnered with Harbor Urban, has announced plans to develop in Fremont.
- What: 171 units that will be developed to compliment “the vitality of Fremont street-life.” That will include 11 townhomes, as well as studio and one- and two-bedroom units.
- Where: The project is planned for 3606 Woodland Avenue North. Because of its proximity to the Burke Gilman Trail, the developers are planning to incorporate bike lockers, as well as bike washing and maintenance stations, to appeal to cyclist-commuters.
- When: The project is slated to be complete around the fourth quarter of 2014.
In Progress: 283 AvalonBay Units in the U-District
- Who: AvalonBay Communities is currently constructing the two building complex, which was designed by GGLO.
- What: These 283 units, christened Ava University District, were designed with Gen Y renters in mind. A courtyard will bridge the gap between the two buildings; flex spaces to be used as art studios, coffee carts, boutique spaces, etc. will line the courtyard’s perimeter. The buildings will include eight live-work units as well.
- Where: Construction is taking place on 12th Avenue Northeast, just south of 47th Street.
- When: Project completion has been estimated at five or six months from now, in the summer of 2013.
Conditionally Approved: Amazon Expansion in South Lake Union
- Who: Amazon, of course–by way of Vulcan Real Estate. The project was designed by ZGF Architects out of Seattle. GLY is serving as contractor.
- What: This expansion will consist of two buildings standing six stories tall, with a total of 377,000 square feet.
- Where: These Amazon buildings would stand between Westlake Ave. N. and Ninth Ave. N., in South Lake Union–two blocks west of their current campus.
- When: The project was conditionally approved just days ago by the Department of Planning and Development. Now, Vulcan must proceed with caution–certain construction impacts could derail the approval.
Completed (and up for sale): GreenHouse, in Columbia City
- Who: Harbor Urban developed this property, in which nearly all units have now been leased. Cushman & Wakefield Commerce are marketing the building for sale.
- What: The building, which features irrigated rooftop garden plots (as well as edible landscaping!) is the first market-rate project to be built in Columbia City in 43 years. There are 124 units, twenty percent of which have been designated as affordable housing.
- Where: GreenHouse is located at 3701 S. Hudson Street.
- When: The project was completed just about four months ago, at which time half of the units were pre-leased; now, the building has filled to near-capacity. While there is no asking price listed with the building, Harbor Urban recently sold the Landes on First Hill for nearly $28.9 million.